Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Post Op Day 1

Today was post op day 1.  When the surgeon came in he said Mason's numbers were still higher than he would like so there was no plan to even try to come off sedation.  He started up a few different meds hoping that they would help and all day the numbers keep shooting up so they have to keep putting him farther under.  They really go up when I touch him or talk to him so I have to refrain from that.  It is kind of a helpless feeling not to be able to do anything but I will do whatever makes him in the best state to recover in.  Also with how his numbers have been I am not going to be surprised if tomorrow the surgeon decides Mason needs to go back to the cath lab to have more collaterals coiled in his heart.  They still have him on the cooling blanket.  They are keeping his temperature at 35.5 degrees Celsius(95.9 Fahrenheit), it makes me want to wrap him up in a blanket.  He had a few eventful moments today also.  His ventilator stopped working TWICE! The first time the nurse wasn't in the room and all the sudden the ventilator stopped and I looked at Mason's chest and there was no breathing.  It scared me.  The nurse came in and started to bag him while respiratory messed with the ventilator.  Everything was fine and then it happened again this evening.  So they had to bag him again and send for a new ventilator.  He cannot breath at all on his own yet so it put a little panic into me but all is well since.  Overall they are pleased with him but are not in any sort of hurry to pull him out of it.  If slow and steady is what it takes, we will be patient.  We are used to Mason just fly right through recovery but this time it is very different because they want it to be slow so we have to just keep positive and know that time is important with this surgery. 
Ryder had a good day today too.  I still can't get over how AMAZING he was yesterday during surgery.  He sat in a very boring waiting room for over 9 hours and didn't even complain.  He is growing up and is such a good brother.  Because of the long day yesterday he didn't really care to sit at the hospital so my mom brought him down for a few hours so they could visit him and then we all went back up to the Yawkey house to eat some dinner.  We got to play Monopoly Jr with Ryder before we walked back to the hospital. Zac's parents sat with Mason so that made me feel a little better being gone knowing Mason wasn't alone.  I am going to miss Ryder so much when he goes home soon, but he will enjoy being back at school with his friends. 
Mason is still very critical and has a long road of recovery so keep the love, positivity, and prayers coming.  They are not going unnoticed. <3
I have gone back and fourth on posting pictures of Mason with all his wires and tubes.  I decided tonight that I am okay with posting them on here.  Pictures like this get stolen too often by the wrong people and then they use them to get money from others.  I don't want to be a target so I am going watermark any pictures like this to try to avoid that happening.
 
 
 
<3
 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mollie, thank you for taking the time to update us on how things are going. :) Know our hearts and prayers will continue to be with you all. Mason is s fighter! He's definitely a little super hero. Hugs to all of you!

Czarina said...

I am praying for your fighter! I will continue to check on him and pray for him and for you.

- Czarina (from the FB bivent group)